News

McDonald’s customer ‘sickened after fly flew out of burger leaving behind maggots’

A McDonald’s customer was left “sickened” after a fly allegedly flew out of her cheeseburger – leaving behind a grumble of maggots.

Georgia Poole, 18, from Birmingham, claimed to have visited her local branch last week where she opted for the saver menu item.

As she started driving back home, eagerly awaiting a bite, she claims to have heard a buzzing coming from the takeaway bag.

The veterinary nurse assistant opened up her double cheeseburger, where she allegedly spotted a fly – which prompted her to inspect the food further.

Seconds later, Georgia reportedly noticed “wriggling” maggots underneath the gherkin.

“I just keep thinking if I hadn’t seen that fly, I would have eaten it,” Georgia told NeedToKnow.Online.

“I am trying to get my head around the fact of how McDonald’s have managed to wrap up an alive fly.

“I am sickened by the thought that I had eaten a Big Mac before taking out the double cheeseburger – it’s such a stomach-turning surprise.

“I’m just utterly disgusted by this, it has left me in total shock. I never want to eat McDonald’s again.

“To be honest, it has completely put me off eating from any takeaway service.

“I want to warn as many people as I can to check their food before they eat it.

“I pray that no one has the traumatic experience that I did to open up a burger made from a big company that us people trust – only to find a fly which had left a load of eggs, which turned into maggots.”

Georgia has attempted to contact the local branch, but claims she’s been unable to get through.

Since then, she’s contacted McDonald’s and the Food Standards Agency in a bid to escalate the complaint.

In the meantime, Georgia uploaded photos of her find onto Facebook, which has clocked up 1,800 comments and 2,500 shares – and left social media users horrified.

One person said: “Surprised you didn’t get charged for the extra topping…”

Another social media user commented: “Villeeeeee,” followed by several vomiting emojis. [sic]

Someone else joked: “As Bear Grylls would say ‘Free Protein’.”

“Never eating at Maccies again,” added a fourth person.

A fifth Facebook user said: “Hope you reported it to environmental health… That’s disgusting.”

A spokesman for McDonald’s said: “We are sorry to hear about the customer’s experience.

“Food safety is of the utmost importance to us and we place great emphasis on quality control, following rigorous standards to avoid any imperfections.

“We have carried out extensive investigations at the restaurant, including a third party expert, and no issues have been identified.

“We’ve asked the customer to return the item to allow us to continue investigations, but this request has been declined.

“Our customer services team will continue to liaise with the customer to help find a resolution.”